Three color screen print.
Early attempt at showing arrangement.
I fell into the compound leaf wormhole this weekend. I can't wait to print this part.
This is my Grandpa, Bob. He caught this fish in October of 1971. They had rad wallpaper in their kitchen in 1971.
Trial and error is the best teacher.
Last night I began the process of coating and burning my first screen.
Let me explain the process at a very basic level.
1. You have an uncoated screen ( The mesh I am using is 305 and it's yellow ).
2. You go in a light safe room ( yellow light or red light ) and you open your jug of emulsion (red) and mix in some Diazo. Basically you are making the goo light sensitive. Mix it up real good like and let it sit for a couple hours.
3. Take your screen and go into the darkroom. Open the emulsion and pour some into your scoop coater. You spill some. You clean it up. You spill some more and eventually you cry a little bit. After that you coat each side of the mesh ( yellow ) with the emulsion (red). Basically you are putting a very thin layer of light sensitive goo on each side of the screen. Put the screen up on some blocks and let it sit print side down and horizontal for 24 hours. This all has to be done in the darkroom.
4. After the screen has dried you put your positive image on the print side of the screen, lay a large piece of glass on top and turn on your exposure booth. There is some science and math involved here...the distance your lights are away from your screen, the wattage of your lights, the duration etc. I fucked this up two times by underexposing ( not leaving the light on long enough ). Hopefully this will get better when I build a proper exposure unit.
5. After you burn the screen you take it to the washout booth and spray out the areas where your positive (black) image was on top of the screen. If all goes well, you should see your image appear in yellow ( the screen color ). The red around it got cooked on by the lights and doesn't allow your ink to pass through.
6. Tape up the corners of your screen, put it in the clamps, poop on some ink and grab your squeegee.
The huge plastic tank just got delivered. It's in great shape except that someone didn't do a very good job of rinsing out the remaining vinegar from it. Luckily Scout loves spraying the hose.
These are the best quality clamps I could find. They showed up the other day and are just waiting to be installed. I opted to not go with the spring loaded clamp/lever thing some kits have...I mean, come on, You just lift the fucking screen up and down.
I was cruising Craigslist yesterday and noticed this craft table, lightly used, that could support the weight of a jumbo jet. I already built the giant table in the corner but this thing was $50, clean, and movable. The materials alone would be double that. They delivered it too. I own it now. It used to help a lady make quilts. It's beefy.
In anticipation for my new washout booth I started looking into how I was going to get the water from the washout booth, outside. I figured I would have to call a plumber to get things legit and then I saw this little guy.
It's a drain, to the sewer, for this exact thing. Already done. Fuck-yeah, Merica.
I needed a good workspace that could support heavy shit and big screens. I had this giant 4x8 top framed up with 2x4's. I put some cleats on the wall to support the table and threw on some legs. Storage and workspace.
I bought some contact cement and slapped down a nice thin piece of smooth board (I can't think of the name of the material) to ease up the rubbin on my belly and arms from that plywood top.